Blog Post 1: Introduction

 Hello everyone! My name is Faith Glover. I'm an online student at UAF from Kenai, Alaska. I love art, drawing in particular, so I'm excited about the chance to learn more about the world of art across time and cultures. Aside from drawing, other activities I enjoy include reading, taking care of my chickens and rabbits, foraging, hiking, and going on adventures with my siblings, friends, and my German Shepherd. 

While there are many works of art that interest me, one that I find particularly fascinating is Girl With a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer. 


My relationship with art has been a long one. I've loved drawing and painting since I was little, and as I've grown so has my interest. I started practicing drawing more seriously when I was about 12 or 13, and while I don't have as much time to practice anymore, it's still something I love doing. Most of the time I just use ink and graphite, but I've been experimenting with watercolors and felt-tip pens. 

An art-related website I enjoy is My Modern Met. They feature everything from architecture to photography to more traditional art like drawing and painting, and everything in between. Here is a recent post about an artist who is using his understanding of architecture to create beautiful images of maze-like cities. Mesmerizing Architecture Drawings Look Like Geometric Mazes (mymodernmet.com)

That's it for my introduction! Looking forward to seeing you in class!

Comments

  1. The works by Sacks are FABULOUS! It takes the works of MC Esher and takes it to a whole new level. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faith, I also find the painting Girl with the Pear Earring interesting. The illusion of the earring, and how is wasn't normal to paint a portrait of someone with no status. I also really like Johannes Vermeer's work.

    Sacks work is truly surreal! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drawing and painting is one of my favorite things to do as well! I think this is my first time seeing this painting and it is really pretty, very elegant. I am glad that I am already learning/seeing something new in this class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art Analysis: Sunflowers, by Vincent Van Gogh

Non-Western Art: The Ming Dynasty