Art Analysis: Sunflowers, by Vincent Van Gogh


     I love sunflowers. They've always been one of my favorite flowers, ever since I was a little kid. There's a huge row of them growing out in our garden right now, and a big vase full sitting on the kitchen table. Something about the bright, blazing yellow, the impossible size of the flower heads, the tall, gangly stems (ours are well over ten feet), the massive green leaves, and the fact that they always seem slightly out of control no matter how hard you try to contain them, just brings me joy. 
    Happily for the art world, I am not the only person who has loved these beautiful flowers. Vincent Van Gogh's series Sunflowers are some of his best known works, and some of my personal favorites. He painted five of them in Paris in 1887, and seven in Arles from 1888-1889. (Vincent van Gogh - Sunflowers, 2021)
    The painting I have chosen to discuss today is the first version of Sunflowers from his second series, painted in Arles. 



The work is 73.5 x 60cm, oil on canvas. I chose this particular version of Sunflowers because it's brighter and cheerier than the others, which are much more drab and monotone. Something about the vibrant yellow of the sunflowers combined with the shiny green vase and blue background just seems to pop. The painting seems to lift the mood and emanate an air of happiness. The contrast of the warm orange, yellow, and brown against the cool blue and green colors shows Van Gogh's excellent use of color and masterful skill. 
    I love this painting. Sadly, we don't know exactly why Van Gogh loved sunflowers so much, though we do know they held a special significance for him. He made frequent references to them in his letters, and later took them as his own artistic signature. ("10 Facts That You Don't Know About Sunflowers By Vincent Van Gogh")
    Vincent Van Gogh tragically died by his own hand two years after painting this work. However, though I can't say for certain, it is my hope that these bright, sunny flowers brought a bit of light to his dark, tortured life. 

Bibliography:
Van Gogh Museum. 2021. Vincent van Gogh - Sunflowers. [online] Available at: <https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0031V1962> [Accessed 15 September 2021].
"Vincent Van Gogh - Sunflowers". Van Gogh Museum, 2021, https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0031V1962. Accessed 15 Sept 2021.

Comments

  1. Hi Faith. I like this picture as well. I think it is very bright and cheerful and could probably put anyone in a bit of a better mood by looking at it. Hopefully the painting did bring a bit of light to Van Gogh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think that sunflowers brought some joy to Van Gogh's life, as he had a very tortured one. I think he did a very well job of maintaining a natural pattern in the petals and leaves. Yellow is my favorite color, so I really appreciate this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Faith. This is a nice choice of art. I really enjoy how he used rectangles with different sizes and space, as well as the different colors to make the table where the vase lays. I think it adds a sense of texture to it. I agree that the blue background really lets the flowers pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith, I loved reading your art analysis and viewing the painting you chose! I was compelled to respond because sunflowers are my favorite! It is a gorgeous painting, I love the color choice and the representation style. Reading your paragraph on Van Gogh made me realize that the most brilliant, talented individuals that were revolutionary to this world have lived extremely difficult lives. For me personally, I think that is portrait reminds me that even in the darkest moments, there is always something bright within reach. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1: Introduction

Non-Western Art: The Ming Dynasty